Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Old Mill



I have lived in Silvermine, CT for the last 8 years, but recently found myself moving to the next town. (life changes and you have to "go with the flow", as the saying goes) I spent the last three years living/working in The Old Mill. The Mill is situated in the center of Silvermine and is adjacent to the Silvermine Tavern. It is a wonderful location. It was really fun to be able to walk next door for a drink or a meal, or have neighbors pop in for a cup of coffee and a laugh in the middle of the day. Or, we could walk up to the Silvermine Market for a sandwich, where we would inevitably run into more neighbors, which led to sitting around a table catching up with each other. I hadn't lived in a town where I could more often walk than drive to places since childhood. 

The Old Mill (officially called The Red Mill, although I've never seen a photo or drawing of it painted red) was built in the late 1700's and sits on the Perry Avenue waterfall. Knobs for furniture were made there. (who knew a mill was needed just for knobs?) It has a long and interesting history, complete with a character or two who lived there from time to time. The opportunity to live there came to me in a roundabout way, and I just went with it, knowing it would turn out to be an adventure. It didn't disappoint.

The Mill had an air of peace and tranquility, and was just what I needed in my life at the time. Every view from the house was spectacular and was forever changing. It wasn't difficult for me to get good photographs. I found a lot of the inspiration I had lost in my art from catering to the commercial world all these years. It didn't hurt to be surrounded by other artists, writers and creatives either. Silvermine is a 100+ year old artist colony and is still thriving. Many of my friends commented that they thought it was the perfect house for me. 

While it was indeed a wonderful place to live, it did have a downside. It was referred to as "rustic" by its owner. Anyone who has lived in an old house or one that needs work knows all too well what that means. Sometimes it added to the charm and sometimes it didn't. People who ate or stayed at the Tavern would frequently wander into my yard and actually inside the house (I think I lost about 5 years of my life from the scare of those encounters) I referred to these wanderers as the "escapees". Most would walk around the yard, oblivious to the signs that told them they weren't at the Tavern anymore, and seemingly mesmerized by their surroundings. Some would even peer into the deck or my windows. It was annoying at times, but then again, could I really blame them? It was an interesting house and a beautiful neighborhood. 

I came to love the Mill as if it were mine. When it went up for sale with the rest of the Tavern about a year ago, I felt as if I was losing a loved one. From that moment, the peace I knew there turned to sadness. It just wasn't the same. I also knew it was time for me to go. 

Much to my surprise, I don't miss the Mill. I couldn't imagine being happy anywhere else as I was moving out, but I am happy in my new home. I realized that the physical building really didn't matter. It was the people in the neighborhood, the wonderful friendships, and the memories I had that made me love it. Luckily I didn't move far, so I still see the Silverminers I've grown so fond of.  I am so grateful for my time there and to be part of a wonderful legacy know as Silvermine.....one of the best kept secrets in Fairfield County!


The living room and original work room
The main fireplace....hard to believe that this was the 
only heat source in the old days!

The waterfall at night....this was taken from my living room.
View from the deck

Ground view of the waterfall....

No comments: